I know, this is silly, but silliness lightens the mood and can improve student confidence and student teacher relationships. It seems to reduce math anxiety and increase collaboration.
For a detailed description of number talks, read Making Number Talks Matter
Also read Fawn Nguyen’s site mathtalks.net
Enter the Echo Microphone:
- I present a math problem like 25 x 14
- students have time to think
- I get out the “Mic”
- Only the student with the microphone can speak
- the student shares their strategy (into the microphone) and I record their thinking on the board.
- The best part: when they are done, they Drop the Mic
It is a small and simple thing that really makes number talks more fun.